Friday, February 10, 2006

What's Rotten in the State of Denmark?

As a Danish-American, I feel I should have an opinion about the recent uproar caused by some apparently Muslim-bashing cartoons published in Denmark. I have to admit that right now I'm paranoid about the fact that I have Danish flag stickers on both of my cars. I've had these stickers on my car for years, and now I suddenly thinking I should pull them off just to be on the safe side.

I don't think Denmark has ever received so much international attention in recent history. It's very sad, because I've always been proud to be Danish-American, and I've always been proud of the country's progressive nature. When I visited Denmark in the past I thought it was wonderful, and the people are quite tolerant. The Danes don't deserve this sort of ill-will...they really don't.