Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oscar Nominations

I don't get into the Oscars very much usually, but this year I will definitely watch because Jon Stewart will be hosting. I find that the best way to enjoy the Oscars is to set your DVR to record it, then start watching about 1 hour into the program. That way, you can skip through all of the crappy musical numbers, as well as the awards for categories such as "Achievement in Makeup" (not to mention the annoying commercials...but since getting a DVR, I haven't really watched a commercial in its entirety).

I'm happy to see that "Good Night and Good Luck" was nominated in several categories, as well as "Walk the Line." I think Reese Witherspoon pretty much has the Best Actress award in the bag...not much competition there (I mean, come on, Keira Knightley?) This was a breakthrough role for Reese (and she's a much better singer than June Carter). The Best Actor category is tougher to predict. I haven't actually seen "Capote" yet (I've really been meaning to), but I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman may be the winner. Joaquin has a good shot though.

As far as "Brokeback Mountain" goes, I did enjoy the movie for the most part, although I don't think it's quite worth all of the fuss it's been getting. I haven't ever seen "Titanic," but I guess "Brokeback" could be suffering from the same amount of unnecessary hype. Anyway, it might win Best Picture and it might not. Is it groundbreaking? Not really. But the Hollywood system isn't much about that. Brokeback's cinematography is wonderful though, and I'm all for movie-goers coming to appreciate the Canadian Rockies (if any of them realize that the movie wasn't actually filmed in Wyoming).