Monday, February 13, 2006

So it's officially unofficial...

...that my husband and I have decided to stop using birth control. That is the extent of our "trying to conceive" plan. We were going to wait until next year, but then I decided that maybe we should just see what happens this year.

The change in plans happened for a funny reason. My last period was quite a bit late, and that has only happened to me once before that I can remember. There were a few days there when I was sort of in limbo...and I thought maybe I was pregnant, and I didn't feel wholly freaked out about it. A home pregnancy test, and the eventual late arrival of Aunt Flo, finally confirmed that I was not pregnant. And that was when I realized that I was disappointed. That was a different emotion for me. The last time I had this sort of experience, I was an emotional wreck for about a week.

My husband and I have agreed that we are in no way going to become obsessive about this (like, there won't be any taking of temperatures or using of home ovulation predictor kits). I did tell my hubby that it would be a good idea if he stopped smoking the you-know-what, because stoned sperm are not very good at getting the job done. He was like, "some of the sperm can be stoned, can't they? There are millions of them, and it only takes one to do the trick." I told him that if I can give up alcohol for 9 months (but I'm not much of a drinker anyway), then he can stop smoking the you-know-what for a while. He wasn't very happy about this, especially since we're planning a trip to Vancouver, B.C. later this month, but he wants a baby more than I do, so I expect that he will behave.