Wednesday, May 18, 2005

It’s Wednesday….Time for Brush With Greatness (#2)

Last week I began my own version of Brush with Greatness (as described here)...now for the latest installment:

Time: the early mid-90s. Place: an Oasis concert. At this time, Oasis were huge stars of Britpop, but still relatively unknown in the U.S. When they first toured the U.S., they were often playing in very tiny venues. This is where this week’s Brush With Greatness took place. The first (and only) time I ever saw Oasis play live was at a very small club…more of a bar actually. When I arrived at the place, the band’s tour bus was parked out in front, which I thought was sort of odd. I was going to meet a friend inside, so I was alone when I casually walked up to the front door. As I did so, I noticed that Noel Gallagher’s head and shoulders were sticking out of one of the back windows of the bus. He seemed to be chatting to some guys standing out in front of the club. Then, as I walked by, I noticed he was staring at me, then he started calling out various crude things to me in his very thick accent. My first reaction was surprise, so I just sort of ignored him and walked into the club…I wasn’t even wearing a revealing outfit or anything like that! I didn’t know whether to feel flattered or just extremely embarrassed. Anyway, after the show, I just went home…I didn’t even feel like meeting the band. It was weird.



Stay tuned! There's more of Brush With Greatness still to come!