Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Brush with Greatness #1

Remember when Dave Letterman used to have Brush With Greatness segments on his old show a long, long time ago? That was where Dave used go out into the audience and talk to the audience members about their inane and largely insignificant encounters with celebrities. First an audience member would tell his/her true story about bumping into a particular celebrity, then share an embellishment of the story which had been written by the "Late Night" writers.

Well, I've decided to carry on the great Brush With Greatness tradition, although I won't share embellishments...those are to remain in my fertile imagination. (Also not included in this category are stories about any rock musicians I have met backstage after concerts, etc.)

Here my personal Brush With Greatness #1:

While I was a student at Boston U, I worked for a while at a cinema that showed mostly foreign and independent films. I worked at the snack counter serving espresso and that sort of thing.

One evening the director Ron Howard came into the theater to see a movie. He walked up to the counter, and ordered an Orangina from me (I think he pronounced it the American way, "Orang-EE-nuh"). I gave him the drink, and almost forgot to charge him for it. Also, he was wearing a baseball cap. I don't know what he was doing in town.



Stay Tuned...more of Brush With Greatness to come...