Monday, November 28, 2005

My Fall 2005 Cool List

This is a post in progress...there is more to come (check back)

(Also see My Summer 2005 Cool List)

New Music I'm listening to:
Galaxie 500-Peel Sessions--a cool album with ugly cover art
Isle of Wight 2005 Festival Highlights --I realize the festival happened over the summer, but they just recently aired the festival highlights (which I saved to my DVR) on the INHD channel; the highlights feature Supergrass (Gaz Coombes pic: left) looking and sounding better than ever (and they really look like they're having a good time)
Neil Young - Prairie Wind--Neil goes back to Nashville..

Old (not very old) Music I'm listening to:
Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips - L'Avventura--produced by the legendary Tony Visconti...Can anyone but Dean Wareham get away with covering Madonna and The Doors on the same album (and sound so good)?
The Doves - Lost Souls--this album flows over you like a mild, sunny day in the middle of November

New Movies I've enjoyed:
Proof--it sort of bugged me that Gwyneth played a 27-year-old in this (but then again, we're all used to seeing Jake Gyllenhaal star with an older woman as his love interest--that seems to be his forte)...overall, the cast is excellent
Good Night, and Good Luck--who knew the television news could have such a huge impact?
The Squid and the Whale-- I've enjoyed Noah Baumbach since the days of Kicking and Screaming (It seems that we went to college with the same people)...but couldn't you have found a role for Chris Eigeman again, Noah?
Walk The Line--I thought both Joaquin and Reese were excellent

Old movies I'm enjoying on my DVR:
Play It Again, Sam--My favorite Woody-Diane movie after Annie Hall...check out Diane's cool wardrobe, especially her jacket and floppy hat at the end of the film--also Jennifer Salt's groovy 'do (a lot like her hairstyle in Sisters)
All The President's Men--(photo: right) always a favorite of mine, and just makes a person wish there were still reporters out doing their jobs...this has to be my favorite Robert Redford film after Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which has always been my Dad's favorite movie (he can tell you exactly where all of the scenes were shot because he's been everywhere in the four-corners region in the West)
Dick--sort of a parody of All The President's Men, and it features my two favorite guys from The Kids In The Hall
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest--because Jack Nicholson is brilliant in any movie he starred in the '70s, especially the ones filmed in the Pacific Northwest
North By Northwest--Hitchcock and Cary Grant in their prime
Fast Times at Ridgemont High--I get a good dose of '80s nostalgia, and the soundtrack rules; I still own this 2-record set on vinyl, which I got free through a promo deal when I bought a pair of Van's back in 1982 (they had little rainbows all over them)
The Ice Storm --this movie is somewhat depressing, but I always want to watch it around Thanksgiving
Foul Play--for sort of mindless entertainment, I've always loved this movie...Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase are so cute together in this one, and I love the San Francisco scenes

New TV shows I'm enjoying:
The Colbert Report ..."It's French, Bitch!" (photo: left of Stephen Colbert, King of Deadpan)--I laughed hysterically when Stephen asked Congressman Udall of Colorado: "Have you ever gotten Rocky Mountain High?" I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say it's even more entertaining than The Daily Show. Wow!
The Boondocks on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network)--the show that FOX found too racy to air
Blackpool on BBC America--possibly the cheesiest BBC program ever created

Old TV shows I'm enjoying:
Degrassi High (and Jr. High)--the "old school" episodes on The N...because I get another dose of '80s nostalgia, and because nobody does melodrama as well as the Canadians
VH1 Classic "Alternative"--Okay...yet another hefty dose of '80s nostalgia
Three's Company--on TV Land...I'm still waiting to catch the infamous testicle episode

Favorite Book(s): Paul Wellstone : The Life of a Passionate Progressive

Favorite Clothing Trends:
Wedge Boots--I couldn't wait for the cool weather to get here so I could wear them!; plaid menswear trousers; my purple corduroy blazer; Russian-inspired looks; Esprit

Favorite Girly Items:
Le Couvent des Minimes Orange & Cinnamon--their bath scrub, body balm and scented oil are my favorites; my other favorite fall/winter scented oil is the Body Shop's Spicy Berry; Perfumeria Gal's Red Currant Lip Balm is my favorite in any season

Food I'm Enjoying:
Caramel Apples (whenever I can get them); Pesto Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomatoes; Trader Joe's English Coastal Cheddar; Trader Joe's Fair Trade, Organic Ethiopian Coffee (Trader Joe's carries Fair Trade items now!); Ker Cadelac Bretagne Biscuits (cookies); Whole Foods' Spanish Cocktail Mix (basically this consists of corn nuts, larqueta almonds and a lot of salt...you can find it in the fancy cheese section)

Favorite Restaurant:
Clay's Smokehouse Grill on Division St. in Portland (a little bit of Austin right here in Portland)...their salmon bbq with dill havarti sandwich is unbelievably delicious

Favorite Halloween Candy: Reese's Inside Out

Favorite Pass-time: Walking Duchess Penelope (my English Cocker Spaniel puppy)