Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Remembering Sweetie....

My husband and I took Sweetie to the veterinarian to be put to sleep on Monday, September 19. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, but I know for certain it was the right thing. Sweetie was 16 1/2 years old, and she'd been my dog since I was in high school. Over the past month she'd lost most of her appetite, and shed several pounds. By Sunday evening, she had refused to eat for two days (this was a dog that absolutely loved food!), and she was looking worse than ever (I'll spare you the details). Sweetie knew it was time for her to say goodbye to us, and we didn't want to see her uncomfortable anymore. She'd really led a long, happy life, and up until the last month of her life, she was able to stay somewhat active and enjoy the outdoors.

I don't think I've ever cried so hard in my entire life...and I'm sure I've never seen my husband cry so hard. I was glad that he wasn't ashamed to express his emotions like that, because his dad is an ex-Air Force pilot who has always thought that a man has got to be tough and keep his feelings inside. That's just unhealthy.

The first time my husband (before we were married) met my dog, he said he couldn't believe I'd own such a frou-frou, yappy-type dog. I told him he should get to know Sweetie before he judged her. She was not at all yappy (she rarely barked), and she was far from frou-frou. I guess he had an image in his mind about Cocker Spaniels, but Sweetie was not your average Cocker. She was very laid-back...and very friendly towards people and other dogs. She had the softest fur you can imagine, and although she was an American Cocker Spaniel, she was the sporting-type Cocker rather than the showdog-type. She didn't have the bulging eyes or pug nose. She was very regal in appearance.

She was definitely a head-turner, so people would expect that she'd be high-strung and unfriendly. But after a couple of minutes, she'd warm anybody's heart. When I took her to the vet or the groomer, the staff would be amazed at what a sweet temperament she had. One vet had asked me, "Are there any more at home like her? She's the sweetest Cocker I've ever met."

Well...maybe someday, in the distant future, it will be affordable to clone Sweetie somehow. Maybe not, but a person can dream...