Wednesday, September 07, 2005

My Favorite Season is just around the corner....

Fall (aka autumn) has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember. Once the air begins to grow brisker, and the leaves begin change color and fall on the ground, I know I can wear sweaters, boots and corduroy again. Yes, I must admit, the Fall wardrobe is part of what I love about the season (as silly as that sounds) but I also enjoy really going to the farmers' markets around harvest time. I can't wait to drive to Sauvie Island and the Mount Hood Fruit Loop in time for pumpkin and cider season. Another thing I like about Fall...all of the best movies are released that time of year. Also, in October (aka Halloween season), you have a good excuse to watch horror films, even really stupid ones.

For next fall I'm planning a 10-day vacation in New England (Blue States Only) and Quebec for the peak foliage season. I know it's more than a year away, but I'm getting excited already. I've even started requesting information from the travel bureaus, and deciding which farms and towns we have to stop at in Vermont. We'll spend a couple of days in Boston--and I'll finally be able to give my husband a tour of the city where I attended college! I haven't been back there in years...so I hope I still have all of the T-stops memorized. Then we'll be swinging over to Salem to see all of the witchy places (you just have to stop there when you're in Massachusetts), then over to Lexington and Concord...of course stopping at Thoreau's Walden Pond. Then we'll take Vermont's famous Route 91 (we'll just have a rental car instead of our lovely Saab, but it will have to do) all the way north until we reach Quebec. I'm hoping we'll be able to spend two nights in Quebec City...I've never been there before, and it's the heart of French Canada. Then we'll probably spend another night in Montreal (the last time I was there, I was a teenager!) and then drive back through Vermont again, spending a couple of days in the Stowe area. How I wish I could fast forward to Autumn of 2006 right now! !